Consultant – Health Economist | ReliefWeb
We are a global team of experts and innovators tackling some of the world’s most pressing health issues. We work with leaders and changemakers around the world to bring health strategies to life. We provide ideas, advice and technical know-how that enable our partners to chart the course for lasting change.
With 30 years of experience in global health, we collaborate with our partners to explore existing evidence, combine expertise, scale ideas and co-create solutions that accelerate change. This includes collaborating on policy design, managing initiatives, building powerful coalitions and galvanizing social movements. Our impact is felt in entire communities, with a focus on women, girls and those who have been marginalized.
As part of MSI Reproductive Choices, all of our profits are donated to support MSI’s own mission of children by choice, not chance.
We believe in a world where everyone can access the high quality health services they need, without financial burden.
The Kenya Decentralization Program (KDP) aims to strengthen decentralization in Kenya to improve service delivery and accelerate poverty reduction in 10 counties in Kenya. Options provides overall technical leadership on approaches to strengthening the health sector: ensuring that improved governance, public financial management and citizen engagement translate into better health services. health.
Options uses a “demand-driven” approach to the support it provides to counties: conducting rapid political economic analyzes to identify key bottlenecks that impede county investment in the health sector and providing strategic technical assistance to address them. We also facilitate “peer-to-peer” learning between counties: ensuring that the technical assistance (TA) provided by the program is shared and that a culture of joint problem solving is established to strengthen the system. health in all counties.
Options is seeking the services of an Independent Health Economist Consultant to support the development of the County Health Sector Plan (CHSP) for two counties under the Kenya Decentralization Program (KDP). The consultant will have a strong background and experience in health service costing and in-depth knowledge of health systems policy and planning in Kenya.
The overall objective of the assignment is to facilitate and ensure the success of the County Health Sector Plan 2022/2032 by working closely with the sector working group and other key stakeholders.
As a Consultant Health Economist, the consultant will support the Sector Working Group (SWG) to carry out the situation analysis and county performance review and provide updated information and data to inform the development of the county health sector plan.
The consultant will identify priority areas to be included in the county health sector plan based on the results of the situation analysis and in consultation with key stakeholders. The consultant will ensure that the CHSP is program-based and aligns with annual budgets. The consultant will assist the SWG in developing an M&E plan for CHSP 2022-32 through consultative approaches.
The consultant may co-facilitate a workshop in collaboration with other local partners responsible for specific health components and organize a follow-up workshop to validate the county health sector plans 2022/2032.
To be successful in this role, you will need to:
- Advanced university degree in health economics (Masters or PhD), health financing or related fields with experience in costing health services.
- Have at least 5 years of experience in costing health services, health sector strategic plans or disease-specific strategic plans.
- In-depth knowledge and experience of health financing in developing countries.
- Extensive experience in conducting evaluation/review studies in the health sector, with a focus on issues of equity, social protection and health financing.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in health systems policy and planning in Kenya.
- Solid experience and understanding of costing tools and methodologies
- Excellent writing, communication and presentation skills.
- Be fluent in English both orally and in writing.
- As an equal opportunity employer, Options Consultancy Services is committed to ensuring equal treatment of all current and potential employees and does not tolerate discrimination based on age, disability, gender, orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnic origin, religion or belief. , gender identity, marriage or civil partnership. We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply and join Options Consultancy Services.
- Our organization is committed to protecting and promoting the well-being of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and job holders to share this commitment.
- We are looking for people who are pro-choice, who promote diversity and inclusion, who are energetic and enthusiastic about the vision of Options.
- Applicants must have the right to work in Kenya
How to register
- To apply, please fill out the form here
- The deadline for submitting applications is Friday, June 5, 2022
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- Please note that this role will be subject to a full background check prior to hiring, including a criminal record check, identity check, employment references and a right to work check (if applicable)
- We reserve the right to close this position early if we receive enough applications for the position. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as soon as possible